Pages

GQ Style Tips: Sorting Out Shirt and Tie Dilemma

S

One thing that I always look for during sale is the shirt. The formal shirt. It's pretty hard to get a nice shirt with a brilliant cut and good quality fabrics. Too thin, then whatever you wear underneath (or not wearing one :D) might be peeking. Too thick, then it's pretty darn hard to iron, and creases will stay for as long as you wear it. I would never go for polyester coz it felt cheap and always cruel to my body contour. And talking about fit - the slim cut (or some store call it fashion fit) is always my choice coz they flatters the body.

So. My quest to find great shirts always brought me to some highstreet store. Either COS, Zara, Mexx or H&M, and sometimes Burton Black Label. They got great selection of quality fabrics and nice design. A friend used to ask why I didn't buy any designer clothes? My take is easy: anything that will undergo detergent, not worth buying designers. They'll eventually worn out and fade. If I ever wanna buy designer stuff, it always has to be leatherwear or things that doesn't make me wash it again and again, like suits and jacket. And shoes. :)

Talking about shirt, the other dilemma is how to pair ties with 'em? Well, our friend at GQ has given some pictorial guide on the ways to match shirt-n-tie. My verdict? They're not too bad provided that you could be sensible in what you choose. Though I'm not pretty ecstatic to go for collegiate tie (the one with diagonal stripe and crest) coz they look more like me going to the University Challenge. Yikes! :P


Another GQ tips. When you're not wearing a tie, the collar on your dress shirt flattens out and sinks beneath the lapels of your jacket. It made you look sloppy. The solution? First, look for dress shirts with firm collars that stand up on their own, framing your face. Second, use collar stays. Every proper dress shirt has slots for them. Even +J shirts by Uniqlo also has the spare little plastic thingy to get your collar erected again. :)

Talking about ties, hmmm.. which one should I wear?

S
 

Most Reading