Pages

Lost Without Tesco? There's an App for That!

S

When my friend, Rash, took a peek on my iPhone 4 a couple of days ago, he was lol-ing when he saw the Tesco Finder in one of my apps. "Tesco Finder? Whassup with that?", he burst out loud. Then, i don't really know what to do with it coz it's actually the apps that I downloaded for my iPod Touch. Since I don't really get any free wifi then, so I guess it's an app that you can use to locate any nearest Tesco stores around you.

But now, I'm glad to say that I know what it is. I know how to use it. Ish... Apperently the app is really fun have in any iPhone really.

So, let's see what's its use. First when you tap on the app, you'll come to the 'Home' screen in which you can locate your 'home store' - the nearest to your 'location' at the time. Like me, it's the Regent Street Metro, which is actually the one at the corner of the Piccadilly Circus tube station. You can also search other stores that you like in the 'Store Finder' - and it'll give you the location in miles from the point you're at.

Next, you can also find a product in the 'Product Search' tab. Say, I'm searching for 'chilli', I just type it in and voila... I got the whole arrays of products with the name 'chilli' on it, complete with the price (on the date it is published).

If you tap on any of it, it'll also give you the aisle number where the product is located, together with the shelf number it's on. And if you're silly enough, just follow the exact direction of how the app pointed you to it!

The best thing about the app is you can find some product through barcode scan. Say, my Cadbury Celebration chocs is about to run out and I wanna buy in the nearest store but dunno whether they stock it or not. So, what I can do is to point the barcode scanner to the product's barcode and voila... in within seconds, you can find whether it's in store or not!

Oh, it works only on iPhone coz you need a camera for this. The 'scan' option doesn't exist in my iPod touch app coz there ain't a camera on it. Duh...

See, the Celebration is on offer too! And I can also add it to my shopping list should I wanna remind myself during my next Tesco visit. Brilliant.

And it works for other items as long as they're a 'long-term' products in that particular store. Another example is the Maggi Extra Hot Chili Sauce - imported all the way from Malaysia. Come on, how can you say I've deserted my own country, eh? I can't live without hot stuff in my food! (And that's how I maintain my weight..ahaks!)

Oh, back to the barcode scan... voila! It's in stock too! Awesome...

The apps also works on some periodicals like magazines. Some magazines, in fact. Like this month's issue of Vogue. When I scan the barcode... it does work. And it's on 'ZA' shelf. My own shelf? A Vogue in Zamri A. shelf? Lol... nice one Tesco.

Unfortunately the search doesn't work on Men's Health magazine though. When i scanned it through... you know where it directed me to? To Danone Activia Fat-free Yogurt. Well... at least both are in 'health' section, huh? Ahaks! (Though I never believe eating fat-free is really freeing you from being 'fat'. It's a lie people! Fat-free might be 'less in fat' but it's a calorie whopper!!!)

And oh, does it works on other supermarket brands? The answer is no. Not on what I've tried. When I scanned the Sainsbury's Egg Tart box, and the message that appears says...

Kinda make sense, coz who cares about the rivals!

So. Tesco Finder iPhone apps. If you think you can't live without Tesco, now there's an app for that. It's true what they say... every little helps! :)

(Does it work in other countries outside UK? I don't think so. But you can try...)

S
 

Most Reading