Pages

Newsflash: Giorgio Armani To Use Batik

S

A interesting news on a cool Sunday morning when I opened the newspaper during my breakfast. News that will bring Malaysian fashion scene soaring high into the world market at large. The news that everyone here was hoping that it'll propel the traditional pattern and weaving techniques into the couture galaxy out there.

What's the news? Giorgio Armani has shown interest to use Malaysian batik and songket in his designs. Isn't it awesome? I know everyone in this country cannot separate themselves from batik and songket. In fact, at least one person must own a piece of the design in their wardrobe - either a batik shirt which is normally worn for formalwear, or a songket sampin that is worn during Eid. And for European designers to use the local patterns in their chic design - that would be truly fantabulous!

So, the question is: would Spring/Summer 2012 the designers now gonna have that South East Asian influence in their collection? Let's hope so...


[news clip The Star 31 Oct 10]

Some of the songket pattern in my sampin collection. I love the traditional weave of the tenun which I think is fantastic. Probably in my future blog posts I'll write something about songket weaving method and the tjanting of batik designs which is done by my relatives back in the East Coast of Malaysia. They're awesome. =)

(If you look closer, you should realise that the wall coverings of the hall where I'm hosting the event in the previous post - they're actually the songket motifs. :D)

S
 

Most Reading