Pages

Crop & Repack

S
I read the news the other day which says that being in front of the computer screen all the time is equivalent to being a couch potato, and can lead to obesity. I can't argue with that coz I am somewhat agree with the statement. Very strongly agree actually coz I think I'm starting to become one too: the screen potato. I've been so busy lately, I hardly spend time to lift those dumbells and exercise (which ironically my gym is just on the first floor in my house). I've also being neglecting the basketball court for weeks now, causing the ball (the basketball okay!) to be a bit deflated. I dunno what comes of me, coz lots of time is really spending time in front of the PC. Crunching numbers. Perfecting the research proposals by the students, as well as my own research report. Correcting the letters that are sent by my committee members for the big event I'm chairing. Writing journal papers. And of course, attending this blog. It made me more immobile. Stagnant. Not moving. Even if I move, it's very minimal. My life is literally attached to the screen!

Unlike in my research days during my PhD study, I can say my daily life is like an exercise regime. What not: lifting pails and pails of water to pour into the tank of the research rig. Running up and down two-storeys worth of stairs from the lab to the workshop to the office etc. And walking for almost, I dunno, 10,000 steps per day maybe - commuting from house to the Tube station, to the uni; I think my life before September last year is a true full-day exercise! A total body workout + cardio all in one go. That's why I'm healthy those days. In fact the optician at Boots claimed I am free of any ailment coz when she scanned the back of my eyes during the eye test, I'm perfectly healthy.

But now, I despised that. Being less mobile making me a bit slumpy. Lots of family members realised that I slightly piled on weight. In fact my love handles are getting more 'love' these days which worries me. The almost-six pack then, is now becoming a bit full pack due to me being less active. I can blame on the sugary stuff I'm munching coz you know, Malaysia is absolutely a food haven. Yet alone Ipoh, coz there're so many halal things to eat! From the mamak cafe, to the hawkers stall to even the fast-food chain; it's heaven!   (You should get the EATPOH book to know more about Ipoh food 'culture').

Yet, suddenly I got the 'aha!' moment to lose this guts since having belly is not good in fashion. It's awful! My slimfit clothes doesn't look cool with that buldging midsection. I have to get rid of it. To deflate it. To let it go. And that's why I'm starting to revisit my gym, and lift those dumbells again coz I learned that to get a six-pack it's effective if you weight-lift instead of just doing crunches. How? Coz you're actually attacking the core when you do those bench press, flys, squat etc... without you knowing it. Brilliant, right?

And I think I need to hit the court again, dunking on those hoops. I'm not that a good player, just okay la, since me and my mates used to play basketball a lot during our highschool days. Basketball is fun than football coz you're using both the upper and lower body. Now I think it's the right time too coz I can rock in that cropped jogger that I just bought from Standout. Looks good, and much freedom compared to typical sweatpants. What not to love? Cropped jogger is the new harem!

Anyway. I hope I can lose this guts and regain the six-pack. Period.

[alamak.kulit jadi makin gelap daaa bila balik m'sia...yikes!]

grey cropped jogger - voi jeans @ standout.net
blue vest, layered on white tank top - both by H&M
sneakers - Adidas Nizza Hi Plus Denim [read it here]
watch - Breo

dark grey cropped jogger - voi jeans @ standout.net
black tank top - Asos
leather/technofabric multistrap sneakers - GF by Gianfranco Ferre [read it here]
wool fingerless glove - Marc by Marc Jacobs
bluetooth headphone - Sportsband by JayBird
S
 

Most Reading