Pages

Shopping for labels or shopping for look?

S
With the new megamall hitting West London last week, the public has given a spoilt choice to shop not only for the high street stores but also the designer labels as well. If previously, there is a definite line separating high street stores and designers outlet in London West End, as Oxford Street focus more on high street labels, while New Bond Street offers more upmarket, designer outlets with the like of Louis Vuitton, Prada, Fendi, Armani etc.

So the choice? Labels or look? I'd rather go for look. Why? Becoz I'd rather not buy any items that is so costly as if I could feed a small third world country. I don't really care if it is highstreet or upmarket labels; the most important it has to carry a certain look, fit, style and of course, the price must be right. I am not a fashionista, but rather an economista. Things has to be stylish, yet at the same time...cheap. Not too cheap that I have to compromise the quality, like Primark's! LOL!

Nway, having lived in London for almost three years, I kinda learn new ways to shop. Not just to shop for the right look and style, but at a price lower than what normal people pays. How? Well this is my kinda way:

- Be a student! For the student (like moi), shopping is heaven. (provided if u have the money). Coz many stores offer student discount as low as 10% up to 20%, during the high season (normally September-October, when new terms started). What stores? Uniqlo, Topman, Burton, New Look, French Connection, Barrats, Office, etc.

- Subscribe to the newsletter. Stores like Uniqlo, H&M, ASOS, La Redoute always has something to offer. I like H&M's coz when I subsribe to the newsletter, they automatically gave a 20% discount for the first purchase (and I subsribe new one everytime I wanna get a cheapo, just imagine how many email I have!). At times they'll email you the current offers and better yet 'online specials'.

- Shop online. Why? Because I can compare the price at many e-stores and sometimes it's much cheaper than the highstreet! But the danger is, I can't get the 'feel' of the thing that I wanna buy, the type of fabric of the clothing or the fit. For example, last 3 week I bought 3 new pairs of boots from ASOS. They look damn great. Having to know my shoe size, they'll sent me the boot in a big box. Open it and wanna try all, suddenly two of them has pigskin lining. Damn! What do I do. Return them for refund. For clothing like jeans for example, I usually try them at the stores first and bought online. Cheaper, no fuss, no queue. The most important, get the credit card ready!!

- If I ever had a 'hot' for a designer labels, just wait for the summer or winter sale. Go on their first day of sale (that's how I got my Fendi from Harrods, and Kenneth Cole from Selfridges). In addition to that, visit the designer outlet stores such as Bicester Village Outlet. They offers the same 'current' items but at lower price, some up to 80% off. Some stores like Mulberry offers additional 10% student discount. I got my Burberry at BVO at cheapo cheapo (and loving it! Rather not bought it at New Bond Street).

Well. That's how I shop! Ever wonder how I got so much money to spend... (me also confused..). Shopping for labels or shopping for look? You decide.

(Cue Fergie's song - Labels or Love!!)
S
 

Most Reading