Pages

I've Touch 3.0

S
I finally bowed to the fact that I'm an Apple fan even if it's only a little. I own the 32Gb iPod Touch (not to mention the 1Gb 2nd gen Shuffle). An ultimate boy's toy apart from iPhone; from having the PIMs (personal information management, not the apple cider!), notes jotting, gaming, web surfing (if wifi permitted) and of course movie and music playback. Love it. It's a great companion when travel down the Tube. I shunned iPhone altogether due to its fat size (it's slightly thicker than the 'Touch).

So, last week I have upgraded to the 3.0 version at £5.99 from iTunes. (Free? Huh..I wish!). Btw, issit any good? Splendid. These are some of my highlights:
  • Landscape Keyboard

Before, landscape keyboard only exist in Safari, now I can type in landscape mode both in email and notes. Perfect! really useful coz I don't have to cram my big fingers in portrait. Besides, Mail can also be viewed in landscape.


  • Select, Select All, Cut, Copy & Paste
This is by far the most welcomed features by myself. It's great that you can highlight some word or phrase and cut/copy/paste it somewhere else.



  • Shake to Shuffle
Something that I never knew would happen when the JT's 'Sexy Back' suddenly stopped and goes to Take That's 'Patience' (which is 20 tracks apart!) while I made a groovy move to the tune. When I read in Apple's website, yes, it's shuffle while you shake it babe. It will actually give a 'bleep' sound indicating the shuffling mode.

  • Spotlight Search
This thing appears on the page before the main page (the main page is where the Safari, Mail, Calender is). Just flick to the right (i.e the page goes to the left) and you can search for a file or whatever you wish. Example: when I typed in Touch, two entries will appear - Mariah's Touch My Body and the notes about Bacchiacca's painting that has the word 'touch' in it. Brilliant!

  • Bluetooth
OMG, I can't believe I can sync any bluetooth devices with the Touch! But right now it's still limited to the stereo headset. Yet when I pair it with my laptop and handphone, they appears in Touch eventhough no sync'ing can be done. Hope that Apple will improve this part so that the photos and files in both devices can be transferred easily. The bluetooth sync, btw, can be accessed thru the 'Settings'.


  • Voice Memo

I think this one is useful too provided I have the mic like the Belkin voice recorder. From what Apple said is it will "Capture a memo, a meeting or any audio recording on the go. Voice Memos works with the built-in iPhone microphone or with the mic on your headset" OK, I'll get that Belkin soon. So, beware that everything you said will be the 'evidence'. LOL!


  • Language Selection

This might help for one who can't speak English too well. There're numbers of languages that you can select, and here is one example: Bahasa Melayu (Malay language). As useful as it may be, I think it's quite funny to have Touch in your own language. LOL! (Yet I don't undermining my own language).

S
 

Most Reading