Pages

An Afternoon At SHOWStudio: Fashion Revolution Exhibit

S

Last weekend I tried to play tourist again after so long I haven't been doing it. Coz at the same time, I'm trying (read: really trying okay...) to avoid my trip to the highstreet. Otherwise I'll end up bringing home something, as what I usually do. Since London is a large city, there're still lots more to explore. Plus with so many museums and galleries around, even one week is not enough.

So, I made some time to see one of the major exhibit at Somerset House. The SHOWStudio: Fashion Revolution - a one of it's kind exhibition led by the award-winning image maker, Nick Knight. If you love fashion and anything gotta do with it, then this one is a must-visit.

What's hot? The journey started when you pay the ticket, of course. Thankfully it's not that pricey - just £4 for students (+ another £2 if you wanna buy the guidebook). The entering via the Mirror Room, then I'm stunned to see a gargantuan sculpture of Naomi Campbell. The statue is made of through a 3D technology - capturing images of Naomi and translate it into a sculpture. It was actually white - but visitors can help paint it using a pad underneath it as what they like. As you can see in the pix, someone even draw an arrow pointing to who-know-what. Unfornately, I get the chance to paint Naomi's rear with some stripes ala Zebra!

Making my way to the upper floor is where the other exhibits are. Starting with Alexander McQueen video footage of his work ''The Bridegroom Stripped Bare' in which he transform a bridegroom into a bride of fury (?). If you wanna really see the real weird wide world of designers, then this is a must-see.

Then there was works by Rei Kawakubo of Comme des Garcons showcasing her Witch suit, and Galliano in the Past, Present and Couture... and some others. And what is fashion without the model, right? There was these phone 'booth' with Lily Donaldson. Irina Lazareanu, Lily Cole (and I forgot the other one..ehehehe). Once lifted the phone, I can hear the messages telling the diary of the models' daily life, of what they're doing at the moment. Pretty cool. I like Lily D's phone messages - while Lily C, I don't know why the heck is a man's voice speaking out there?

And there was this tele-interview to some designers, artist and models like Tracey Emin, Kate Moss and Vivienne Westwood. I love watching Kate Moss interview - very sweet. She kinda remind me of Winona Ryder a bit. Hmm.. is that why Johnny Depp keep getting the similar look kinda ladies?

VW's interview really fascinates me coz she gave a very long answer. No wonder why she was awarded a Honorary Doctorate by King's College, huh? A question by Naomi is what I like - 'Why do you gave the the shoes even though I stumbled because of it' (it sounds like that more or less). And the Dame gave this long and elaborate answer as you can see below. But one phrase that struck me is when she said Naomi is 'the Aphrodite of the modern world'.

Bla, bla, bla.. other exhibits: These glass tiles smacked with the models' lips. From Erin O'Connor, Kate Moss, Agyness Deyn, Helena Christensen, Stella Tennant and even Janice Dickinson (yikes!).

The Design Download - where upcoming fashion designers can download the pattern form their favorite noted designers like Galliano, McQueen and Margiela - and create their own interpretations. Like these lots...


Design inspired but cut pattern by Galliano


and Martin Margiela....


... and McQueen, as well as Antony Price

Some other exhibit: casting for models which is done everyday.. so get your style on check! Then it was Live Studio, where you can watch the process behind the scenes how a photoshoot is done. I watched Lily D photoshoot that afternoon. Very interesting... And if you're lucky, you can also see the live potrait of some model sitting on a chair, doing nothing but pose. ;)

And there was Fashion Film, and Political Fashion near the exit. Before making your way out, there's a souvenir shop to get your dosh spent on - like the Louis Vuitton coffee table book, some postcards of SHOWStudio and T-Shirts as well.

Did I say I didn't wanna spend my money? Yeah, right. I ended bringing home one black tee made of 100% sustainable bamboo fibers. Nice fabric. It quite cheap, so what's not to like? :)

The exhibition runs till 20th December 09. Nearest tube: Temple (or Embankment, but a tad farther). More info click here.

S
 

Most Reading